Foreign Assist

Our member institutions' study abroad curriculums grow every year. EIIA improves our international medical and liability insurance program by adding service and coverage to support this increased need.

Frequently Asked Questions

Where am I covered?
  • UnitedHealthCare Travel Assistance Services are provided anywhere in the world outside the United States of America, and its Territories or Possessions.
  • The Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) is an agency of the United States Department of the Treasury under the auspices of the Under Secretary of the Treasury for Terrorism and Financial Intelligence. OFAC administers and enforces economic and trade sanctions based on United States foreign policy and national security goals against targeted foreign states, organizations, and individuals.
  • Payment of any claim or loss will be made in full compliance with OFAC.
  • Click here for a complete list of OFAC countries.
What is my deductible?

The deductible for the coverage is $250 per occurrence/claim, and $500 per occurrence for Pre-Exisiting Conditions. UnitedHealthCare will do their best to avoid the deductible becoming an issue, but if the doctor or hospital is insisting upon payment up front it would be wise for the traveler to have a credit card handy.

I have a Pre-existing disability or medical condition does this insurance apply?

The travel/accident coverage applies without regard to disability or having a pre-departure medical condition. But please note that there is a limit of $3,000 for pre-existing conditions and a $500 deductible will be applied.

What services can be provided during my trip?

Here are some examples of the services that are provided to you while you are participating in your study abroad program:

  1. Emergency cash transfer assistance*: cash advances in U.S. or local currency subject to personal funding
  2. Emergency Telephone Translation Assistance: in emergency situations, multilingual counselors are available for telephone translation services in all major languages
  3. Medical emergencies or other travel needs
  4. Emergency Message: will assist with contacting family or business contacts in the event of an emergency situation
  5. Legal Referrals and Bail Bond Assistance*: provide legal referrals in their general area
  6. Lost/Stolen Luggage and Personal Effects*: will assist with the return of lost/stolen luggage by coordinating efforts with the commercial carrier
  7. Lost/Stolen Travel Documents/Travel Tickets*: travel documents (passport, visas, tickets, etc.) are lost or stolen will assist in efforts to replace such documents

*These services are not covered by insurance, any fees or costs associated with these are the responsibility of the student/faculty member.

What about medications(s) that I'm taking? Can I get through Customs?

If you are taking prescription medication with you on your overseas trip you should call UnitedHealthCare before you leave.

You can call them collect call at 1-800-527-0218 while you are still in the U.S.

Are there any pre-departure services?

By calling collect or reversing the charges through an international operator: +1-410-453-6330, or 1-800-527-0218 while you are still in the United States UnitedHealthCare can help you with any of the following:

  1. Most Institutions will have the ability to help you through your visa requirements; however if those resources are not available to you contact UnitedHealthCare
  2. They can provide information on prescriptions allowed in a specific country
  3. They can help find a medical specialist in an area/country
  4. They will identify ATM locations that accept your credit card
  5. UnitedHealthCare will provide travel delay information such as up to date travel delay reports
  6. Immunization information*: recommended immunizations for intended destination can be obtained
  7. Embassy or Consulate Referral: UnitedHealthCare can provide address and phone numbers of local embassies or consulates in the area you will be traveling
  8. Medical Advisory or Epidemic Updates: UnitedHealthCare will provide up to date information regarding local medical advisories, epidemics and available preventive measures in the desired location
  9. Travel Supplier Strike Information: UnitedHealthCare can provide up to date information regarding travel supplier strikes and the potential impact on your journey
  10. Public Information such as local worldwide public holiday information for any desired location can be obtained
  11. Global weather updates for destinations are available
  12. Information regarding general political and/or environmental conditions for your destination is available

*These services are not covered by insurance, any fees or costs associated with these are the responsibility of the student/faculty member.

If there is a need for medical evacuation who would arrange it?

UnitedHealthCare would need to be notified immediately and would arrange for medical evacuation based upon their medical evaluation or a doctor’s certification of necessity.

Does the program provide assistance to me if I am required to evacuate the country for security reasons?

Yes, UnitedHealthCare will make arrangements to have individuals or groups evacuated in case of an occurrence. This includes: an expulsion from a host country; a political or military event involving a host country; a natural disaster; a physical attack; or a kidnapping. In addition to providing evacuation assistance, there is a shared coverage limit of $50,000 per policy year for natural disaster occurrence; and $100,000 limit per institution for a political evacuation occurrence.

In what circumstances should UnitedHealthCare be contacted in advance?

Always contact UnitedHealthCare if there is a medical emergency as soon as possible. For example, serious injury, sprained ankle, might need stitches, etc. Local emergency personnel should be contacted first if possible (911) for more serious situations. Safety is the primary concern.

UnitedHealthCare can provide directions to the nearest English speaking hospital/emergency room facilities and can facilitate coordination with local doctors.

What is considered an excluded sporting event?

Although you are covered for most sporting events, there are some that are considered inherently dangerous. We recommend that you avoid participation in these events since they are not covered by the plan.

Injuries from scholastic or professional sports such as American Football, Baseball, Basketball, Boxing, Gymnastics, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Martial Arts, Rodeo, Skiing (water and snow), Surfing, Swimming, Diving, Wrestling, and Equestrian events are not covered.

Also, participation in contests of speed using a motorized vehicle or bicycle are not covered.

Excluded at all times are skydiving/parachuting, hang gliding, bungee jumping, mountain climbing, potholing (cave exploring, etc.), zip-lining and motorcycle riding.

Scuba Diving is excluded at all times except as an assigned part of a curriculum of study for credit.

Snorkeling and Skiing are covered when associated with curriculum.

What if I want to play a 'pick-up game'?

Yes, as this is not participation in a scholastic or professional sport.

What should I do if I lose my International ID Card or Loyalty Tag?

Click here for a copy of your UnitedHealthCare ID Card information.

Otherwise, call your contact at your institution, they will provide you with the UnitedHealthCare phone number. The cards can be replaced electronically, but are not necessary for coverage of assistance.

A student is seriously injured, does insurance provide for a family member to travel overseas?

The insurance will pay up to the cost of one round trip economy airfare ticket for one person to fly to be with the injured student while they are in the hospital if they are alone and outside of the US/Canada. The insurance will also pay for lodging and meals, up to a maximum of $300 per day and $5,000 maximum per occurrence, for the family member while the injured student remains hospitalized.

Call UnitedHealthCare to help arrange the emergency flight.

Is UnitedHealthCare coverage Primary or Secondary?

The foreign travel insurance provides primary emergency medical insurance. The coverage includes reasonable and customary charges for covered medical expenses incurred by an insured person for the treatment of injury or sickness sustained during the course of an insured journey.

How is reimbursement of medical bills handled?

If medical bills were paid overseas for an emergency medical situation by the injured party, the bills can be submitted for review by a claims adjuster for potential reimbursement. The bills can be emailed or faxed with a cover-note providing the institution name along with the EIIA policy number and the UnitedHealthCare case number (if applicable). Contact information:

John Lynch - Claims
Phone: 855-444-4796
Fax: 847-230-1935
Navigators Global Claims
Navigators Management Company
1375 East Woodfield Road, Suite 720
Schaumburg, IL 60173

You can also call UnitedHealthCare, mention the case number (if applicable) and let them know that you want bills submitted to claims for review.

Does coverage continue after returning to the United States?

Once the faculty member/student has returned to the United States, UnitedHealthCare services and the International Insurance Program no longer apply. Personal health/medical coverage purchased for the United States would apply.

Can you submit a claim to more than one insurance company?

This will depend on the individual situation. It is highly recommended that the faculty/student call UnitedHealthCare first. If the insurance limits look like they might be exceeded, then another carrier may become involved with the claim.

What are examples of covered and non covered medical expenses?

A student or faculty member falling and breaking a leg would be an example of something that is covered. An appendicitis attack is another example of something that would be covered.

Surgery to provide an artificial hip that is cheaper to have done overseas would not be covered. The birth of a child while traveling overseas would not be covered.


home  ·  careers  ·  our members  ·  governance  ·  contact
hipaa privacy policy  ·  privacy policy  ·  terms of use

© 2015 Educational & Institutional Insurance Administrators, Inc.
200 South Wacker Drive, Suite 1000, Chicago, IL 60606
Phone: 312-648-0914 | Fax: 312-648-5511
Connect with us: